I have been working on this project for more than 5 years now. I remember kiting the blocks in the old house before we moved here. I have worked on these blocks during the recuperation of 5 surgeries. I have grown tired of the the project and put it away for months at a time. There was never a completion date in mind. It was just something to work on. When I finished this wreath a couple of weeks ago I was astonished to see how big my completed block bin had become.
I pulled them all out and looked at them again. I found the small hole that Loaf created one day that I will need to fix once the top is put together. I found a few blood stains when I was not careful with my wound recovery. I saw years worth of memories wrap up in tiny stitches and mixed patterns.
As I folded the blocks to put them away I stacked them according to design, trying to figure out how this quilt will come together. I lost the original design I created all those years ago and as time has past I wonder if I want all this work to be a bed quilt after all: at least not my bed with all the comings and goings that happen on it right now. So I'm not sure how this project will end up.
I pulled out the next block and quickly finished the applique. It was a new design and I was anxious to see the end result, but when I was done I didn't love it. I'm not sure why because now looking at it now it seems fine, but I ended up unpicking the flying geese on the side and reattaching them a little closer.
I don't know if I like this any better, but it's here to stay. I will unpick once and understand the value of starting over if I need to, but I draw the line at unpicking twice. It seems a little more cozy this way, perhaps too chaotic. However if this quilt is a representation of our home chaotic is appropriate.
As I pulled out the next block to work on I realized I only have 4 more to complete. I am nearly done (perhaps) with the applique. I am on the home stretch and it made me so excited that I pulled them all our and basted them down.
I use this Roxanne's water soluble basting glue. It's wonderful! I can baste an entire block, applique each of the pieces and the final piece will still be holding strong after all the crumpling and folding of the applique process. I don't add very much to each piece, small dots or ultra thin lines. This basting glue can go a long way. I have had this bottle for years.
Basting like this, at least in my haphazard way can be a little tricky. I am not very careful when I with my seam allowances especially if I'm trying to salvage a small piece of fabric. If I am not careful I don't quite get it basted well, but then I'm not overly concerned because I can just pull it up and add the piece where I need it. Once the last few blocks are done I will put the project away for a while and bring out another that has been waiting in the wings. This kind of rotation works the best for me otherwise I do something rash like sell the top because I'm so tired of looking at it. I have very few completely projects because I have either given them away or sold the tops. I can't wait to start something new, even if it's old and been sitting on the shelf for a while.