Our very practical and fun family home evening chart is done and hanging on our wall (right next to the chalkboard wall, more about that later). Here are the basic instructions if you would like to make your own.
a file folder
your digital images printed off on card stock (The boys, the girls, and part 2 boys and girls)
Velcro (I use a self-adhesive kind, bigger is better)
1. The images are scaled to print 6 people per sheet of paper. If you have a large family like mine you will need to make the images slightly smaller. The outline images are great for coloring the family members to customize your chart or you can color them digitally.
2. Cut out your individual people, label if desired. Arrange on your file folder and write your specific family home evening jobs with the permanent marker.
3. Laminate each of the individual pieces as well as the file folder. Cut around the individual laminated people, leaving a slight margin to maintain the lamination seal. (I found that my printer dulled the colors slightly and the lamination brightened it all back up.)
4. Attach the Velcro to both the file folder and to the individual pieces. Remember to have all the "rough" Velcro sides on the file folder and the "soft" Velcro sides on the family members. I mixed up on a couple and the babies were frustrated trying to attach the soft Velcro to the soft Velcro (easily fixed, just a nuisense you can avoid).
5. Add the grommet and hang on your wall (or however and where ever you choose to use your family home evening chart).
It was a fast, fun project to make and the children enjoyed choosing which image would represent them and their clothing colors. The best thing about this chart is that if destroyed (a possibility around here) I can easily make a new one.
I don't anticipate this being the magic solution to our chaotic family home evenings, but the children are excited to have a chart again so maybe for a few weeks at least there will be some order.